Hon. Wilkie RASMUSSEN
Member for Tongareva (Penrhyn) Island
Northern Cook Islands
Member of the DEMOCRATIC PARTY
DOB: 21st March 1958
POB: Omoka, Tongareva (Penrhyn) Island, Cook Islands
First elected as a Member of Parliament of the Cook Islands in the June 2002 Tongareva (Penrhyn) Island By-Election. Re-elected in the 2004 General Election and on the 26th September 2006, Snap Election.
Current Ministerial Protfolios (2009-2010) includes:
• Attorney General
• Commerce Commission
• Ministry of Finance & Economic Management
• Financial Intelligence Unit
• Financial Services Development Authority
• Financial Supervisory Commission
• National Superannuation
• Pearl Authority
Appointed as Minister of the Crown in March 2005 with the following portfolios:
· Foreign Affairs and Immigrations;
· Tourism Corporation;
· Marine Resources and Cultural Development.
His past Ministerial portfolios included Attorney-General; Environment Services and Public Service Commission.
· Chairman of Media Select Committee 2007;
· Member of Property Law Select Committee 2007;
· Member of Parliamentary Privileges Select Committee 2007;
· Member of the CPA Cook Islands Committee.
· Practised as a Barrister/Solicitor
· Ran a private company called Northern Traders Limited
· Cook Islands High Commissioner to New Zealand 1999-2002
Visits, Conferences and Delegations:
Co-President of the ACP/EU Joint Parliamentary Association in Brussels.
President of Tongareva (Penrhyn) Island Committee; Deputy Leader of Democratic Party; Deacon of Avarua CICC (Cook Islands Christian Church).
Secondary School:- New Zealand School Certificate; New Zealand University Entrance and Sixth Form Certificate.
Tertiary Education:- Bachelor of Arts (BA); Masters of Arts (MA - 1st Class Honours) and Bachelor of Law (LLB) from the University of Auckland.
The Hon. Wilkie Rasmussen is married to Tungane (nee Woonton) of Tongareva (Penrhyn) Island and they have two (2) children; a son and a daughter and they have three (3) granddaughters.